BYRON SHIRE COUNCIL

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† 14.3 - Attachment 1

Minutes of Meeting

 

 

 

 

 

bsc_logo_150dpi_rgb

 

 

 

Arakwal Memorandum of Understanding Advisory Committee Meeting

 

 

 

Venue

Meeting Room 1, Council Administration Building, Station Street, Mullumbimby

Date

Thursday, 14 May 2015

Time

2.30pm

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


BYRON SHIRE COUNCIL

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† 14.3 - Attachment 1

 

Minutes of the Arakwal Memorandum of Understanding Advisory Committee Meeting held on Thursday, 14 May 2015

File No: I2015/401

 

PRESENT:†† Cr S Richardson (Mayor), Cr P Spooner

 

Staff:†† Greg Ironfield (Manager Community Development)

††††††††††† Belle Arnold (Indigenous Projects Officer)

††††††††††† Phil Warner (Manager Major Projects) Reports 5.1 and 5.2

††††††††††† Nikki Bourke (Capital Project Officer) Report 5.1

††††††††††† Joylene McNamara (Minute Taker)

 

Community:††† Gavin Brown, Delta Kay

 

Cr Spooner (Chair) opened the meeting at 2.36pm and acknowledged that the meeting was being held on Bundjalung Country.

 

Apologies:

 

There were no apologies.

 

Declarations of Interest Ė Pecuniary and Non-Pecuniary

 

There were no declarations of interest.

 

Adoption of Minutes from Previous Meetings

 

Committee Recommendation:

That the minutes of the Arakwal Memorandum of Understanding Advisory Committee Meeting held on 25 February 2015 be confirmed.

(Richardson/Spooner)

The recommendation was put to the vote and declared carried..

 

Business Arising from Previous Minutes

 

There was no business arising from previous minutes.

 

 

Staff Reports - Corporate and Community Services

Report No. 5.1†††††††††††† South Byron Sewerage Treatment Plant Update

File No:††††††††††††††††††††††† I2015/351

 

Committee Recommendation:

1.††† That the Arakwal MoU Advisory Committee note the progress on the demolishing of the South Byron Sewerage Treatment Plant.

 

2.††† That further consultation with Arakwal be required for Stage 2 of the project.

(Richardson/Spooner)

The recommendation was put to the vote and declared carried.

 

 

Report No. 5.2†††††††††††† Byron Bay Bypass Aboriginal Consultation Report May 2015

File No:††††††††††††††††††††††† I2015/361

 

Committee Recommendation:

1.†††††† That the Arakwal MoU Advisory Committee note the Aboriginal Consultation Process involved in the Byron Bay Bypass project to date.

 

2.†††††† That the Arakwal MoU Advisory Committee provide any further comments to Council staff regarding the Byron Bay Bypass Project.

 

3.†††††† That the Arakwal MoU Advisory Committee request consultation concerning replanting, beautification and revegetation along the road alignment.

(Richardson/Spooner)

The recommendation was put to the vote and declared carried.

 

 

Procedural Motion

Committee Recommendation:

That the order of business be changed to receive presentations on Other Business Items 6.1, 6.2 and 6.3 next on the Agenda.

(Spooner/Richardson)

The recommendation was put to the vote and declared carried.

 

 

6.†††††† OTHER BUSINESS

†††††††††

6.1 ††† Rural Land Strategies (Natalie Hancock, Senior Planner)

 

Meeting Notes:

∑†† Natalie provided a presentation entitled Rural LS Discussion Paper Presentation 2 (#E2015/31007)

∑†† Gavin Brown to follow up with Natalie on items raised.

 

6.2†††† Welcome Signage Update (Donna Johnston, Media and Communications Officer)

 

Meeting Notes:

∑†† Donna provided a handout of proposed welcome sign (#E2015/3103)

∑†† This is in addition to the existing timber sign.††

∑†† That the existing Arakwal sign remain in its current position .

∑†† Surfboard totem be located near the existing timber sign.

∑†† Proposed welcome sign be located near the Visitorís Information Centre.

 

6.3†††† Coastal Zone Management Plan Byron Bay Embayment Update (Catherine Knight, Coastal Officer)

 

Meeting Notes:

∑†† Catherine Knight provided a presentation entitled Update Coastal Zone Management Plan Byron Bay Embayment (#E2015/30337)

∑†† Gavin to follow up with Catherine to discuss cultural heritage issues.

 

 

Procedural Motion

Committee Recommendation:

That the committee return to the next item on the Agenda.

(Richardson/Spooner)

The recommendation was put to the vote and declared carried.

 

 

Report No. 5.3†††††††††††† Ti Tree Lake Aboriginal Place Project Report

File No:††††††††††††††††††††††† I2015/372

 

Committee Recommendation :

1.†††††† That the Arakwal Memorandum of Understanding Committee (MoU) note the report on the Ti Tree (Taylorís) Lake Aboriginal Place Plan of Management.

 

2.†††††† That the Arakwal Memorandum of Understanding Committee (MoU) endorse the Councilís participation in the Ti Tree (Taylorís) Lake Aboriginal Place Plan of Management project.

(Brown/Kay)

The recommendation was put to the vote and declared carried..

 

Cr Richardson left at 4.28pm.

 

Other Business Items

 

6.4†††† Broken Head Quarry Development Appeal in Land and Environment Court
(Belle Arnold)

 

Meeting Notes:

 

∑††† No conciliation conference Ė no amicable solution

∑††† Arakwal to formulate a statement to Council regarding position

 

6.5†††† Bangalow Weir Signage (Gavin Brown)

 

Meeting Notes:

 

∑††† That the Arakwal MoU Committee bring to Councilís attention the recognition of Arakwal signage at the Bangalow Weir.†

 

 

There being no further business the meeting concluded at 4.36pm.