Strategic Business Panel Meeting
Byron Community College, Byron Bay
Monday, 26 March 2018
Strategic Business Panel Meeting Minutes 26 March 2018
Minutes of the Strategic Business Panel Meeting held on Monday, 26 March 2018
File No: I2018/505
PRESENT: Cr S Richardson, Cr A Hunter, Cr P Spooner
Staff: Shannon Burt (Director Sustainable Environment and Economy)
Sharyn French (Manager Environmental and Economic Planning
Tania Crosbie (Economy and Sustainability Coordinator)
Claire McGarry (Projects Officer)
Sasha Graham Northern Rivers Together
Tanya Egerton Southern Cross University
Todd Sotheren Byron Chamber of Commerce
Mark Holden Sourdough
Brandon Saul Habitat
Christopher Magick Sustainable Valley
Tim Williamson RDA
Richard Vinycomb Byron Community College
Alison Pearl Byron Community College
Stuart Picken Sourdough Expert in Residence
Io Jacobson Turnstone Migration Services
Matt Evans Mapping Entrepreneurial Ecosystem in Byron
Cr Richardson (Chair) opened the meeting at 4pm and acknowledged that the meeting was being held on Bundjalung Country.
· Kerrie Bowtell NSW TAFE
· Peter Skorupanovic NORTEC
· Pru Chapman The Owners Collective
· Dan Swan Startinno
· Ben Roche SCU
· Will Gammon CumulusFX
· Ashleigh Martin Social Futures
· Craig Jenkins P&C
· Arnold, Mark BSC Acting General Manager
· Frawley, Jodi BSC Grants Officer
There were no declarations of interest.
This is the first meeting of the Strategic Business Panel.
There was no business arising from previous minutes.
File No: I2018/435
· Presentation – The current state of innovative business incubator programs in BSC & Region by Tania Crosbie, Economy and Sustainability Coordinator, Byron Shire Council.
· Kylee Ingram – SCU’s Innovation Hub Entrepreneur in Residence and Boomtown expert – on world’s best practice.
· Discussion – What can be done now to assist in the development of the sector and how does Council add value?
· Discussion – What are long-term options including partnerships, land and building options?
· Discussion – Next steps and is there an appetite for an incubator working group?
The group agreed to continue to meet on a regular basis as an ‘incubator industry cluster’ and continue to engage with Council around incubators, accelerators, innovation and co-working space.
There being no further business the meeting concluded at 6pm.