Minutes of Meeting










Heritage Panel Meeting





Conference Room, Station Street, Mullumbimby


Thursday, 30 August 2018












Heritage Panel Meeting Minutes                                                          30 August 2018




Minutes of the Heritage Panel Meeting held on Thursday, 30 August 2018

File No: I2018/1575


PRESENT:   Cr B Cameron, Cr A Hunter, Cr J Martin, Cr J Hackett

Staff:   Noreen Scott (Minute Taker)

            Chris Larkin (Manager Sustainable Development)

            Nancy Tarlao ( Planner)


Members:       Chris Cooney (Mullumbimby/Brunswick Valley Historical Society)
Don Osborne (Bangalow Historical Society)

                        Robyn Wright



Cr Cameron  (Chair) opened the meeting at 2:00pm  and acknowledged that the meeting was being held on Bundjalung Country.




Joe Vescio, Robert Sampimon (Byron Historical Society), Shannon Burt (Director Sustainable Environment and Economy).


Declarations of Interest – Pecuniary and Non-Pecuniary


There were no declarations of interest.


Adoption of Minutes from Previous Meetings



That the minutes of the Heritage Panel Meeting held on 3 July 2018 be confirmed.



Note: The minutes of the meeting held on [3 July,2018] were noted, and the Committee Recommendations adopted by Council, at the Ordinary Meeting held on [23 August,2018]. (this note is only required if relevant ie a Panel meeting does not necessarily need to be reported to Council.)


Business Arising from Previous Minutes


There was no business arising from previous minutes.



Staff Reports - Sustainable Environment and Economy

Report No. 4.1             Report on heritage study funding options (Res 18-295)

File No:                        I2018/1152


Committee Recommendation:

1.    That the Heritage Panel notes the report on heritage study funding options.

2.    That staff apply for heritage grants as appropriate for the following  projects:

a.    Review of the Byron Development Control Plan 2014 Heritage Controls; and

b.    Review of the Byron Community Based Heritage Study including a consideration of rural landscapes.

3.    Staff to investigate the potential to use a page similar to the Clarence Valley Council Conversations website to provide background information on any future heritage study review if Council’s existing communications tools do not achieve the same.




The recommendation was put to the vote and declared carried.



Report No. 4.2             Local Heritage Places Grants 2018/19

File No:                        I2018/1551


Committee Recommendation:

That the Heritage Panel notes the presentation based on assessment under the Office of Environment and Heritage criteria on Local Heritage Places Grants 2018-19 and endorses the funding recommendations made by the Heritage Advisor and staff as presented to the meeting as follows:


a.    The top 3 grant applications receive $2000 and next 6 grant applications receive $1000.

b.    Staff to prepare a media release highlighting successful applicants including pictures of the respective heritage buildings (add to E-news for promotional purposes).



The recommendation was put to the vote and declared carried.



Report No. 4.3             Report on Heritage Promotion (Res 18-295)

File No:                        I2018/1555


Committee Recommendation:

That the Heritage Panel notes the update report on Heritage Promotion in the Shire and requests the Heritage Advisor and staff to action the following:


1.         Planned information sessions with real estate and design consultants in the near future, staff to consider holding the meetings in Byron Bay.

2.         An article in E News to explain heritage guidelines in plain English, provide information on businesses with heritage displays.  Staff to approach business owners for interest in being in the E News.

3.         Staff to investigate the use of heritage banners for promotional purposes.

4.         Staff to prepare a letter thanking Essential Energy for the Power Station tour and their maintenance schedule.

5.         Staff to continue to promote heritage with land owners of heritage items in Byron Shire.



The recommendation was put to the vote and declared carried.




There being no further business the meeting concluded at 4.00pm.