Notice of Meeting
Online via Email
Monday, 4 September 2023
Director Infrastructure Services
Extraordinary Local Traffic Committee Meeting
3.1 Local Traffic Committee Meeting held on 15 August 2023
6.1 Chincogan Charge - 16 September 2023.................................................................. 3
Local Traffic Committee Meeting 6.1
Report No. 6.1 Chincogan Charge - 16 September 2023
File No: I2023/1261
Council has received an application for the Chincogan Charge to be held on Saturday 16 September 2023.
This was previously approved by the Local Traffic Committee (LTC) and by Council resolution 22-084.
1. That the Local Traffic Committee support the Chincogan Charge to be held on Saturday 16 September 2023.
2. That Council support in Part 1 is subject to:
a) separate approvals by NSW Police and TfNSW being obtained;
b) the event organiser providing council with an updated Traffic Management Plan and Traffic Guidance Scheme/s for the event if required;
c) development and implementation of a Traffic Management Plan and Traffic Guidance Scheme/s by those with appropriate TfNSW accreditation and the holding of current and appropriate levels of insurance and liability cover;
d) the impact of the event be advertised, and charged at cost to the organisers, via a notice in the local weekly paper and Variable Message Signage (VMS) a minimum of one week prior to the operational impacts taking effect, noting it must include the event name, specifics of any traffic impacts or road closures and times, alternative route arrangements, event organiser, a personal contact name and a telephone number for all event related enquiries or complaints;
e) the event be notified on Council’s web page and social media with the event organiser supplying Council with the relevant information;
3. The event organiser to:
a) inform the community and businesses that are directly impacted (e.g. within road closure zones) via written information which is delivered to the property in a timely manner so as to document, consider and respond to any concerns raised;
b) arranging for private property access and egress affected by the event;
c) liaising with bus, taxi and waste operators and ensuring arrangements are made for provision of services during conduct of the event;
d) consulting with emergency services and any identified issues be addressed;
e) holding $20m public liability insurance cover which is valid for the event;
f) not place any signage on the road related area of the Pacific Highway.
For the 2022 event the organisers followed the same course as 2020 (the 2021 event was cancelled due to COVID) with runners starting and finishing near Mullumbimby Police Station.
The road course will require actions to control traffic and the implementation of prescribed traffic control devices such as No Parking signs to control vehicles. 500 participants are expected.
The organisers have submitted a 2023 TGS the image below shows the expected impact on roads. The blue line indicates the approximate running path within the road reserve and the following major impacts are planned:
· Dalley Street, between the Post Office and the Civic Hall is expected to be closed between 12.30-5.30pm
· Murwillumbah Road, at Federation Bridge to Main Arm Rd to be controlled by traffic controllers. The South bound lane will be used for contraflow traffic controlled by Traffic Controllers. Traffic will be allowed to access Main Arm Road in-between competitors. Traffic will be controlled at this point between 12.35-5.30pm
· Coolamon Scenic Drive from Main Arm Rd to 1913 Coolamon Scenic Drive. The South bound lane will be used for contraflow traffic controlled by Traffic Controllers. Traffic will be allowed to access Main Arm Road in-between competitors. Traffic will be controlled at this point between 12.40-5.30pm
· Once competitors cross the finish line they will move onto the footpath and head to the Mullumbimby Civic Memorial Hall for the presentation.
· The race itself is expected to finish at 4pm with presentations from 4-5.30pm.